This weekend I spend the better part of the day fixing a broken sprinkler pipe. It’s tough, smelly, filthy work. An in 90 degree weather, miserable.
We got the pipe fixed. Everything that seemed wrong was mended and when we turned on the water we found another leak.
I had planned this fix down to each motion needed I needed to do. In the end, my plans all went out the window.
It took 4+ hours to do a 45 minute job. And two trips to the hardware store.
The lesson here is two-fold. First, do all your thinking up front so that WHEN something goes wrong you can work on fixing the problem and not wondering what to do next.
Second, sometimes even when everything goes right (the first repair didn’t leak at all), you still lose.
Sometimes Murphy wins.